Sunday, October 29, 2017

Skies & Sunsets

I love to take pictures of the sky (a pretty well-known fact about myself). Yesterday, I saw a breathtaking sunset on the way home from church and this is the thought that came into mind:

When all we can see is the never-ending busyness of our schedules and unfinished projects, our faithful God gives us good reason to look up -

To set our eyes on what is bigger than the lists, decisions, and deadlines,
To gaze on the daily but never-duplicated beauty He paints across the sky, as a tiny glimpse into His extravagance,
To witness the moment each day when our Father reminds us:
From the rising of the sun to its going down the Lord's name is to be praised. (Psalm 113:3)

The hope we have is: yes, the everyday mundaneness and to-do list can be never-ending but so is the grace of God, making it always possible for us to press on with grateful praise for everyday faithfulness.

It's going to be a grueling week ahead and I'm struggling in preparation for my very challenging midterm on Tuesday, so may God give me the strength to do my best and trust in God through the rough patches of the week and for the peace to let go of what I cannot control and let God.

Today, I have been listening to this hymn recording on repeat. "His Promise to Me" is one of my absolute favorite hymns and reminds me that God will be enough, no matter what we may face in the days ahead. This recording was sung by my project team at this year's MMP and as I listened to it, a flood of memories came rushing back and the nostalgia is definitely back.

The one thing that popped into my mind was how one of the team leads would always remind us at the start of every project session - "We must not forget why we are doing this. I know it can get tiring to sing the whole day, but we know that we have this mission so that when people listen to these recordings they can be touched and strengthened by the amazing love of God that shines through every word we sing." I myself feel so blessed to have these recordings to listen to when I'm feeling weak and in need of comfort and hope. I am so grateful that we have music as a tool to rejoice in the presence of our Lord, to experience heaven on earth as well as within our hearts, and to transform ourselves from a people of constant complaint to a people of powerful praise.

Here's to a new week! Let's do this - God's got our back. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Ruth! And the awesome hymnal recording it sounds so good and refreshing! Where do you post/share your pictures? And how was your midterm??

    Also, the past few days' weather has been kinda gloomy and sometimes a little depressing as the night falls a little bit quicker. But as I was driving to school today for our SCF bible study, there was a bit of sun that poked through the long stretch of clouds and I thought it was so amazing.

    ReplyDelete