Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A Rooted Faith

Hi Team Chill,

Apologies for not updating in a while!

This weekend, I had the blessed opportunity to attend National Youth Servitude Training (NYST) at Dallas Church (and I got to see Sophia!!). Truly praise and thank God, this seminar came at the perfect time. Before NYST, I was given a bunch of (relatively new) holy work that resulted in feeling very overwhelmed and on the brink of losing the right heart in servitude. God used NYST to teach me many lessons and encourage me. I'll try to finish up my reflections from NYST in another post! 

Yesterday marked 3 years since the passing of a beloved sister in Christ and a spiritual mentor of mine. The NYST theme, "Take Root Downward, Bear Fruit Upward" made me think of the example she has set for everyone who crossed paths with her. My memories are fading a bit as more time passes by, and that's what makes me the saddest. But there are definitely things that are simply unforgettable. I am so thankful that we had a family trip together in June 2014, the last moments of quality time we shared. Even though her physical energy diminished rapidly in those 3 days together, she was filled with the greatest enthusiasm and joy when sharing her testimonies with me during our stroll on Mount Tam.

A month after that trip, she still attended music camp as her yearly tradition. In spite of excruciating pain, countless blood clots and the inability to walk/stand on her own, she served God with the brightest smile and the loveliest voice. I remember after music camp, I was keeping in touch through text, and one day, she said something that really touched me: If I keep singing hymns and praising God, I won't feel the pain as much. 

I remember, a couple weeks before she passed, she lost her eyesight. Members would often visit and sing many hymns to her, since hymns are her favorite. Even at her weakest moment, she gave her all to sing from memory. What an admirable faith that holds onto God as an anchor in the worst of times, teaching us that with Him in our lives, walking by our side each step of the way is our reason to rejoice.

Her faith is what got her through days of great discomfort - with the help of hymns, prayers, and sermons, one of the most important lessons she has taught me.
A few of her favorite hymns:
  • I must tell Jesus all of my trials; I cannot bear these burdens alone; In my distress He kindly will help me; He ever loves and cares for His own.
  • God understands your heartache, He knows the bitter pain; O trust Him in the darkness, you cannot trust in vain.  
Thank God for iMessage history that allows me to reread a few of her many encouragements to me. Here are some I wanted to share:
  • God is always with me - that is enough. 
  • Her constant prayer: Lord, please help me to never forget Your grace.
  • Never give up - God will give you the strength to go on.
  • God is greater than the burdens you are carrying.
  • God has a perfect plan for us. He never does it all at once- just step by step, because He wants to teach us to walk by faith, not by sight.
  • Every day, I thank God for another day to say, "How great Thou art!" Every day is a blessing, no matter what happens.
May she continue to live on within our life - in what we do, in our words, and in our smiles. Every time I think of her, I reflect, how have I valued my own life? How am I going to cherish each day? How can I better radiate the joy that comes from living each day under God's incredible grace and love? I know for myself, there is so much more room to grow and action to take.

Happy Tuesday!

-Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment