When I was leaving for college last week and told a sister it would be 12 weeks before I came back home, she said something that saddened yet encouraged me: "Pretend that it's 6 NYTS's!" While I was and still am sad about leaving home, I see now how I can make these remaining 11 weeks in Chicago just like NYTS—a time of immense spiritual growth.
The first few days and nights coming in were very tough. The first night I was staying in my dorm room and my parents were still in town (but not with me), and yet I was crying so much to the point where I could barely breathe. I knew that in less than 24 hours my parents would leave me in this place 1000 miles away from home in a town where I knew less than 20 people, and the thought of this scared me to my bones. I believe the only reason I was able to sleep that night was because of the continual repetition of Psalm 23 in my head and of course, His abundant grace and mercy.
It has been almost a week since that tear-filled night, and by His guidance, every day has been getting better. Psalm 147:3 (I've attached the memory verse song below 🙂) has reminded me that this broken heart caused by my homesickness can only be healed by God and God alone:
"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."
Please pray for me as this first, official week of school starts (last week was orientation) so that my faith will not fail in the midst of tribulation.
God bless!
Sophia
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bfgBvNE0dlRWtSTDJKSE9NNjZsb3dxVldvUFFpQ1d6TjdZ/view?usp=sharing
Thanks for sharing Sophia
ReplyDeleteIt was really encouraging reading your sharing - I am sure that your faith will grow in this new area.
Looking back at college, I can witness how much God has helped me build up my faith in a new location away from home. And it's really helped me to remember that God puts us away from our comfort zones so that we are able to mature and discover the areas that we are lacking. Thank God that it seems like you're learning new lessons from God every day, especially from all the Psalms!
Will keep you prayers! Please continue to update and encourage all of us through your journey!